Sunday, February 21, 2016

Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Carbonara

I guess over the last two years I have found that I don't really miss pasta.  People ask me about pasta and bread. Never about how many veggies I eat or how much fruit or the great lean meat but about pasta and bread. BUT I do like the dishes that are usually made with pasta which is why I have found wonderful ways to continue eating them just without the pasta.  Spaghetti squash is one that easily fills this pasta void but we all have found we could...and do...eat by itself.


 Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Carbonara for Two
1 Spaghetti Squash
Mushrooms
Shrimp (1 pound)
4 Strips of Bacon
1 egg
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup of chicken broth
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
Sea Salt/Cracked Black Pepper

Slice the spaghetti squash in half, remove the seeds and roast at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or until tender.  Using fork strip the flesh from the squash creating "spaghetti".  Put the empty shell to the side to use as a serving dish.  Saute mushrooms and shrimp in a small saute pan.  Crisp bacon in a large saute pan.  Remove bacon and set to the side.  Add chicken broth to the bacon drippings and simmer for 3 minutes.  Combine eggs and cheese and stir until smooth.  Slowly combine the egg and cheese mixture with the simmering broth stirring nonstop.  Once combined add squash, mushrooms and shrimp stir to incorporate all ingredients. Divide mixture into the two squash shells and top with bacon.


Feldman Quick Tips

We buy the cooked shrimp frozen at Aldi's and warm by sauteing.  Plus, when I say slowly I mean slowly add the egg/cheese mixture.  You hate to end up with scrambled eggs for supper instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment